The foot, being a very intricate structure, can be the cause of pain in your ankle, knees, and hips. If you are experiencing pain somewhere, it is a good thing to have your entire posture evaluated. With a complete evaluation of your foot, posture, and gait, your podiatrist is able to offer a comprehensive understanding of the mechanism behind your injury or pain.
It is beneficial to see a podiatrist if:
- You suspect you have a foot misalignment
- You have pain in your feet, knees, ankles, hips
- You have a painful corn underneath your foot
- Your shoes are wearing off unusually
- You are trying to have better sport performance
- You are trying to get back to a sport
- You are starting a new sport
What is the process of a gait and posture analysis?
Here is what you should expect from your gait and posture consultation:
1. Evaluation of all the joints
Your podiatrist will first start to evaluate the motion and muscle strength of your feet, ankles, knees, and hips.
2. Evaluation of your posture
Your podiatrist will then evaluate if your feet, ankles, knees, and hips are aligned properly when you are standing up and active. Your podiatrist will also evaluate your overall posture in order to determine if your weight is distributed evenly.
3. Evaluation of your walking and running
Because some problems only happen when you walk or run, your podiatrist will also evaluate how your feet, ankles, knees, and hips move when you are walking and running.